February 10, 2009

O' Fun For... blingin' up the wardrobe

...This is especially useful once you are in the giant tenty pregnant clothes that are not all that fun or wearing you husband's t-shirts with ginormous men's overalls to contain all your baby-house-sized self. Adding some sparkly, whether it matches or not, just makes you feel better. If you have to feel like an RV, may as well feel like a posh tour bus or something rather than the 70's camper, eh?

I've stopped making sense... time to move on...

A month or so ago my sister-in-law Jenny invited me to go "bead" with her. We met at her mother-in-law Alice's, where I discovered that the gem fair goes on all year long. I brought my own meager stash to work with and then marveled at the sparkly-ness of Alice and Jenny's stash. It was pretty awesome.

After forcing my mind to focus on the task at hand, rather than the sparkles around every turn, I decided to make a necklace out of some chain I had bought at the gem fair last year. I had never used it since I was unsure if the lighter silver wire I had for wire-wrapping would look odd with the dark charcoal-ish chain. Jenny convinced me to go for it, so I rummaged through the large pearly beads from my Grama T's stash, supplemented them with some crystaly ones and rock-ish ones from the same stash, and Jenny came up with the perfect deep purply Swarovski crystals to tie it all together. It was all kinds of fun to have Jenny there to consult as I figured out the layout- James and the boys, helpful as they are, don't have quite the feedback I am usually looking for when I am making something. ("Sure hon, looks nice," James offers while his eyes never leave the computer screen.... "I don't like purple," says Toby... you get the idea.)

I was pretty pleased with the outcome! The pictures are the best I could get- it is harder than it looks to photograph jewelry.





Woo! Thanks, Alice and Jenny!

1 comment:

HarrisonFam said...

WHat a great post! I called Alice and had her take a look also - She LOVED it (post and necklace!) I'm glad you had fun! We'll have to do it again sometime (w/o the guys or kids of course!)