September 18, 2008

O' Fun For... fruity folks

I used the last remaining bits of energy I had to can peaches and pears on Saturday, pick blackberries on Monday, and make and can blackberry jam on Tuesday night. I ended up with 11 quarts of pears, 10 quarts of peaches, and 14 8 oz. jars of seedless blackberry jam. And zero more quarts of energy or motivation. Woo hoo! I feel so domestic. Here is a pic of my lovely jars o' fruitiness:



...and here is some evidence of my brain issues from this fetus. Please note that the lids were originally marked "10/08" and then I realized it was September, and tried to make the 10 into a 9 on all the lids.




Verna (my mom) has asked me before where I learned all this domesticity. I mean, I did learn while growing up which kind of Hot Pocket is best, as well as memorize how to prepare Easy Mac. (2/3 c. water, heat for 3:45 in the microwave.) I told her that I learned my domestic skills from the internet. It's true! The internet has taught me how to crochet, sew, cook, can, garden, and much much more. So, as I thought of all this whilst peeling pears for what felt like ten hours straight, I have decided to add this ode to my post today. I hope you like it.

Ode To Google

I turn to you with life's questions,
You'll always heed the call
With numberless suggestions-
Sometimes I check them all.

"How do I make this yarn
Into a blanket for my baby?"
Up comes a video tutorial
Of Instructional Crochet Lady.

"What can I make my family
For dinner all this week?"
You sent me to Allrecipes,
With everything I seek.

"I need to make some quilts
so I guess I need to know
not only how to piece them,
But first- how to sew."

Up popped blogs and craftzines
And from all those I found
A few that knew their stuff,
Their knowledge did abound.

Crushing garlic, growing herbs,
Solutions for tomatoes green,
I quickly jump from page to page
Gathering all that I can glean.

Oh, Google, if I had you not,
Wherefore would I look?
(I hear in times of old,
They'd check inside a book...)

5 comments:

Juber Family said...

Poetry too!?!?!? Can I just call you Dana Goddess of All Things Good? So all of you crafty-sewing-vampire-book-reading ladies are pregnant, except for Lauralee. Did you guys have a party I didn't know about;)

Erin said...

Dana, you are stupendous! I wish I was motivated to be as crafty and homemaking as you! We should get together sometime and you can show me of your mad sewing skills,(I know how to sew but not like that!) and then you can show me how to can, inspire me to write poetry and I will try to do something to make you feel relaxed like braiding your hair or something. It's getting longer isn't it?

Phyllis said...

Misty- yes, yes we did. We did vampiric fertility chants around our sewing machines. When you're ready to have another one, you can come, too. ; )

Erin- I'll trade you for carving some steps into my hair, Boyz-to-Men style. That would be pretty awesome.

theferrisoneofall said...

DaNa! I bow to your energistice/knowledgable/crafty self!

Tiffany said...

Dana, we are canning twins! : ) I didn't do pears, but peaches and jam... oh the jam... I will probably be dreaming about pectin processing for weeks!!!
And Mistie... LOL!!! Seriously, is there something in the water we missed out on?